My parents have been married 50 years. Today. We are at the beach celebrating. I spent some time thinking about how incredible their faithfulness is - and how much we have to be grateful for - and how many of my core beliefs are formed by their marriage and little daily lessons I've seen played out. So I made a list. I'd love it if you'd add memories or blessings in the comments.
1. Never skip a celebration.
2. Church Every Sunday.
3. And Wednesday
4. Unless you are on vacation.
5. Vacation every year.
6. Talk to people in line.
7. Make friends everywhere you go.
8. Hang in there with people even when it's hard.
9. Say sorry.
10. Let stuff go even if people don't say sorry.
11. Go to the fair.
12. Have people over for dinner.
14. Work hard.
15. Build retaining walls to hold up things. Big retaining walls.
16. Buy sparkly crystal glasses.
17. Use them often.
18. Let kids use them.
19. Remember people's birthdays.
20. Show up when tough stuff happens.
21. Take food.
22. Use the "you are special" plate.
23. Take your kids to work.
24. Pay your kids to work.
25. Let them use the money on fun stuff.
27. Do the dishes before you go to bed.
28. Go to museums.
29. Cheer on the Seahawks.
30. Consider other people's perspective.
32. Point out the mountains, rivers, flowers and anything worthy of a second look.
33. Give people time.
34. Take big risks.
35. Let mistakes be temporary.
36. Try again.
37. Try new food.
38. Cheer on people's wins.
39. Don't buy into drama.
40. Read all the books.
41. Talk about funerals, wills, death and resurrection. It's all a part of the deal.
42. Enjoy Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, 4th of July.
43. Go to the doctor.
44. Ask the tough questions. Information is better than guessing.
47. Put your faith in Jesus.
48. Don't quit.
49. Wonder why things work.
50. Find out.
I love Jesus. I think my two daughters can change the world. I think you can too.
Sign up to receive Mindy's Quirk-E-Mails